Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls are a fun, tasty treat kids and adults alike will love. They’re delicious as snacks or appetizers and perfect for feeding a crowd!
I don’t know what pit I’ve been holed up in this last half-century because for the life of me, I’ve never heard of ham and cheese bread rolls until today. My friend brought over half a dozen this afternoon for me to try and I was in love at first bite!
As soon as she left, I was in my kitchen preparing my own batch. Boy! As good and appreciated the ones she gave me, these stuffed bread logs taste so much better hot and fresh from the pan.
From my subsequent Google search, it appears ham and cheese bread rolls are a popular Pinoy snack and different recipe versions can be found online. The prep and ingredients are mostly the same but I especially liked the method I saw on Overseas Pinoy Cooking blog which adds a thin spread of fruit jam on the bread.
It may sound totally out place in a savory treat, but have faith, my friends, it works! The sweetness of the jam balances the saltiness of the ham and the richness of the cheese. It’s a combination of flavors that brings these bread roll-ups to a whole level of yum!
These crispy bread roll-ups are easy to make and versatile, too! They’re the perfect use for day-old bread and whatever bits and pieces you have in the fridge. Below are some filling combinations you can try.
Other filling options
- red and green bell peppers strips and browned sausage
- pepperoni slices and pizza sauce
- shredded beef and sauteed mushrooms
- Canadian bacon and pineapple tidbits
- chopped Roma tomatoes, shredded mozzarella, and basil leaves
- hotdogs and cheese
- Spam and scrambled eggs
How to Make Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls
- With a knife, trim edges of the bread and with a rolling pin, flatten until very thin.
- Spread a thin layer of jam on the top side of the bread slice.
- Arrange a piece of ham over the jam and place cheese strip at the edge of the bread.
- Roll bread into a log to enclose filling and press lightly on seams to completely seal. Secure with toothpicks, if needed, and remove when ready to dredge in bread crumbs.
- Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- In a bowl, combine eggs and milk and whisk until well-beaten. In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.
- Dip bread rolls in egg mixture and roll in the bread mixture, patting down crumbs to fully coat.
- In a wide, thick-bottomed pan over medium heat, heat about 2-inches deep of oil. Carefully place breaded rolls seam side down and fry, turning on sides as needed, until golden and crunchy.
- Remove from pan and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Serve hot.
How to serve
- These bread rolls are best enjoyed hot and fresh from the pan and do not reheat well.
- To make ahead for a party or to store for future use, arrange unfried rolls in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Transfer to a resealable bag or airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the refrigerator and cook as directed in the recipe, until golden, crunchy, and heated through.
Ham and Cheese Bread RollsHam and Cheese Bread Rolls are a fun, tasty treat kids and adults alike will love. They’re delicious as snacks or appetizers and perfect for feeding a crowd!